Understanding Spousal Support in Your Divorce

Spousal support, sometimes referred to as alimony, is sometimes awarded to one spouse during the pendency of a divorce or after the divorce is finalized. In order to determine eligibility for spousal support, how much you may be entitled to, or to contest a support order, you need to immediately contact an experienced New Orleans divorce attorney.

Rotharmel Shanks, LLC, provides outstanding legal representation and dedicated counsel to clients throughout the New Orleans area. If you have questions regarding your unique divorce circumstances, contact the firm and schedule a consultation as soon as possible.

How Is Spousal Support Determined?

There are a few factors that need to be considered when determining spousal support. A judge will look at the following:
  • The spouses™ respective incomes;
  • The spouses™ financial and personal contributions to the marriage;
  • The health and age of the couple;
  • How long the marriage lasted;
  • Community and Separate Property belonging to the spouses; and
  • Debts accrued during the marriage

In the state of Louisiana, a judge may award either interim or final spousal support. Interim spousal support is ordered for the time period when the spouses are living separate prior to obtaining their divorce. Final spousal support is awarded when the divorce is finalized.

Work with Rotharmel Shanks, LLC

Are you going through a divorce? Is divorce imminent in your marriage? In order to protect yourself and your financial security, it is important that you take immediate action and contact a New Orleans divorce attorney right away. Tracy Rotharmel Shanks can help determine the amount of alimony that you may be entitled to or assist you in contesting alimony payments that may be requested of you.

For more information on how Tracy can be of assistance to you during your divorce, contact the firm and schedule a consultation with a New Orleans divorce attorney: (504) 509-5000

Message Us

Get in touch below or call us to discuss your case.

Call Us


    Office Location

    3445 N. Causeway Blvd

    Suite 603

    Metairie, LA 70002

    Open Hours

    Hours: Open 24/7 by Phone

    (Meetings by Appointment Only)




    Click Here to Call Now